The following is an outline of some of the animal control ordinances for Boulder municipalities. For a complete list of ordinances or more information on specific ordinances, please contact your local animal control agency as listed.
City of Boulder – bouldercolorado.gov
To contact the Animal Care and Control Office, call 303-441-1874. For emergencies, such as an aggressive animal or dog at large, call 303-441-3333.
- Leash Law:Dogs must be on a hand-held leash at all times. It is illegal to tie up your dog on public property.
- Poop Law:City ordinance requires that all guardians immediately remove or clean up all animal waste and dispose of waste in a sanitary manner.
- Pearl Street:Animals are not permitted on the Pearl Street Mall at any time.
- Rabies Vaccination Required:All dogs and cats over 4 months of age must be vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian.
City of Boulder Dog License Required: All dogs over the age of 4 months must wear a current City license at all times. In order to purchase a license, guardians must produce proof (rabies certificate – not a tag) of current rabies vaccination.
- Licenses may be purchased at The Humane Society of Boulder Valley Veterinary Clinic and many other area veterinary clinics. If you are purchasing your license at the HSBV Veterinary Clinic, payment must be made by check. To pay with a credit card, you must purchase or renew online.
- Licenses may be purchased or renewed online here
- City of Boulder Dog Licenses expire on December 31st, and must be renewed annually.
- 1 year license altered (spayed/neutered) dogs: $15, if purchased before February 1st.
- 1 year license intact dogs $30, if purchased before February 1st
- Late Fee: $5 if purchased after February 1st
- Replacement tags: $2 available only online
Voice and Sight Green Tag Program
On designated Open Space and Mountain Trails, dogs can be under voice and sight control if you obtain a voice and sight control tag. Please check at the trailheads for specific information or call 303-441-4142 or 303-441-3440. For information on the voice and sight control tag program visit http://voiceandsight.org or visit https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/voice-and-sight
- Effective in 2015, Boulder City residents must have a valid City of Boulder Dog License to obtain a blue Voice and Sight Tag.
City and County of Broomfield – ci.broomfield.co.us
To contact an Animal Control Officer call 303-438-6400. Impounded dogs in the City of Broomfield are held at the Colorado Dog Academy, 303-465-1703.
- Leash Law:Dogs must be on a hand-held leash at all times.
- City Dog License Required:All dogs must wear a current city license. Licenses are available at all veterinarians in the City of Broomfield at the time of rabies vaccination and are issued at no charge. They may also be picked up at the Community Assistance Desk at City Hall, One Descombes Drive. For more information call 303-438-6426.
- Limit on Number of Animals:There is a maximum of four adult animals allowed per property in the city.
City of Lafayette – cityoflafayette.com
To contact an Animal Control Officer call, 303-665-5571 x3347.
- Leash Law:All dogs are required to be on a hand-held leash at all times.
- City Dog License Required:All dogs must wear a current city license. Cost is $5. To purchase a license send proof of rabies vaccination to: City of Lafayette, ATTN: Finance, 1290 S. Public Road, Lafayette, CO 80026. For more information call 303-665-5588 x3313.
- Limit on Number of Animals:Residents are allowed 3 dogs, 3 cats and 3 birds (roosters are not permitted).
City of Louisville – louisville.co.gov
To contact an Animal Control Officer call 303-666-8633.
- Leash Law:All dogs are required to be on a hand-held leash at all times in the city limits including city parks and open space.
- City Dog License Required:All dogs must wear a current city license. In order to purchase a license you must present proof of rabies vaccination that is valid through the end of the calendar year. Licenses may be purchased at: Louisville City
Hall, 749 Main Street, Louisville, CO 80027. For more information call 303-666-6565.
- Limit on Number of Animals:Residents are allowed to have 3 dogs OR 3 cats and may have a total of 4 dogs and cats combined. Pitbulls are illegal in Louisville.
- Harper Lake:Dogs are not permitted in Harper Lake at all because it is a wildlife sanctuary.
Unincorporated Boulder County
To contact an Animal Control Officer call 303-441-3626 to leave a message or Boulder County Dispatch at 303-441-4444.
- Leash Law:Dogs are not required to be on leash. Dogs that are off leash must be under voice and sight command.
- Rabies Tag Required:Dogs must wear a Rabies tag and ID tag at all times. There is no county dog license.
- Limit on Number of Animals:A total of 7 dogs and cats combined are allowed.
- Boulder County Parks and Open Space:Restrictions vary by trail. Please check trail heads for specific information. Call 303-441-3950.
Local State and Federal Lands
- Eldorado Canyon State Park:Dogs must be on a hand-held leash (6 ft. or less) and under control at all times. Call 303-494-3943.
- S. Forest Service Lands:Dogs must be on a leash (6 ft. or less) in any developed area or campground and in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. Dogs must be under voice and sight control in undeveloped areas. Call 303-444-6600.
Rocky Mountain National Park
- Dogs are not permitted on hiking trails in the park.